It seems that the behavior of Smart Playlists with the "Live updating" option disabled has changed in iTunes 8. Specifically, it used to be that you could force these playlists to update simply by opening the "Edit Smart Playlist" window for the list and clicking OK. As of iTunes 8, this no longer updates the playlist. You must instead open the window, select "Live updating", click OK, open the window again, unselect "Live updating", and finally click OK again.
This is proving bothersome to those (like myself) who use a non-live-updating playlist to listen to unrated tracks, rating them as they go. Allowing the playlist to update live interrupts playback whenever you rate a track you are listening to. With the change in iTunes 8, getting a new batch of tracks to rate is a relatively lengthy process.
- Addresses quality issues when creating MP3s on some computers
- Fixes connectivity issues with the iTunes Store when using certain Internet proxies with Mac OS X
- Improves accessibility with VoiceOver
I’m probably the only person on my block who cares, but here’s my latest iTunes Pro Tip. In iTunes 8, your smart playlists can now use this rule:
Playlist is Genius
You can combine this with other rules in awesome ways, like
Rating is 5 stars - Get yourself a Genius list of songs you already love.
Rating is 0 stars - Genius list of songs you’ve never rated.
I’m jamming out with this setup right now:
Genius (100 songs), filtered through a Ratings is 0 smart playlist, played through Party Shuffle so I can rate songs as they play. I’m also using CoverSutra to show album art and metadata on my desktop and to scrobble to last.fm, plus I Love Stars to show/change ratings right from my menubar.
Apple has just announced iTunes 8 with Genius Playlists. Genius is used to intelligently create playlists. It automatically matches songs that "go together."
- Genius sidebar makes recommendations from iTunes Store of songs you might want to buy
- Genius automatically make playlists from songs in your music library that go great together
- The playlist is automatically updated once a week